Ancient Sanctuary of San Gabriele dell'Addolorata

To report any additions, changes and/or corrections click on "Submit a content"

It is located in an area totally dedicated to the Sanctuary, to the reception of the faithful and to the relative receptions and restaurants that have arisen over the past few decades. The Sanctuary is just outside the town of Isola del Gran Sasso and is one of the most famous places of worship in Europe and one of the fifteen most visited in the world with an annual turnout of more than two million faithful.

According to tradition, in 1215 Saint Francis of Assisi, visiting this area, encouraged his "followers" to build a Franciscan convent and a church, later named after the Immaculate. The latter was restored in 1590 and then enlarged in 1908 by the Passionist Fathers who in 1847 had taken over the Franciscans. The works continued in the years that followed and in 1920 the dome was added and nine years later the church was embellished with the current facade. The building, with a basilica plan, has a gabled roof and a very beautiful façade characterized by a fine portico supported by round columns.

The interior features baroque features and is divided into three naves, of which the central one is much larger, separated by round arches supported by massive columns. At the back of the church, located in the basement, there is the crypt with the body of St. Gabriel made in fake Gothic with narrow and elevated marble arches.


Ancient Sanctuary of San Gabriele dell'Addolorata
Contrada S. Gabriele, 64045 Isola del Gran Sasso d’Italia TE
Lat: 42.517353
Lng: 13.657621